Tuesday, March 24, 2009

topic proposal-proposal argument

I am taking a global approach to my argument. The type of argument I plan on using is proposal where I will answer the question “How should we deal with School Safety?” The problem I will be discussing in the paper is School Safety. Our nation’s schools are plagued with violence and there are steps that need to be taken to ensure children a safe school day. Almost everyone in the country is all too familiar with the Columbine and Virginia Tech tragedies. Unfortunately, they are only the basis of the problem. Everyday children go to school in fear of their fellow students. Bullying has been taken to an extreme in some neighborhoods and the threats have made their way into schools menacing the importance of education. While some believe that approaches taken to school safety are too much there is indeed a need for stronger security in schools.
The solution is plentiful; there is a variety of ways in which the problem can be solved. One of the first steps toward safety is educating faculty and students on how to be aware of warning signs and how to deal with them. There is of course a need for specific emergency plans regarding intruders, threats, and actual violence. The main key to the solution of this problem is preparedness. This solution is justified in its outcome. We live in a world plagued by violence and aggression and fixing the problem of hostility in schools is one way to teach the world’s youth a more peaceful way of dealing with violent situations. If we can teach our youth to live a more harmonious lifestyle we are creating a future of harmony.
The viewpoint I am using from my exploratory paper is the idea of furthering school safety. The sources I can use from my exploratory paper are: Brunner, Judy M. Safe and secure schools 27 strategies for prevention and intervention. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Corwin P, 2009., Kerr, Mary Margaret. School Crisis Prevention and Intervention. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 2008., NASP Resources Helping Children Achieve Thier Best. At Home. In School. In LIfe. 1 Mar. 2009 ., Trump, Kenneth S. Classroom Killers? Hallway Hostages? How Schools Can Prevent and Manage School Crises. New York: Corwin P, 2000. My only concern for this paper is providing enough information on how to correctly solve the problem. I hope to be able to supply the reader with helpful tips toward the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment