Monday, March 23, 2009
free write
Having been educated in a Catholic school for over twelve years I learned more about the topic of abortion then I cared to. Almost everyday was a lecture on why it was wrong and the terrible effects that come from it. In high school I sat through countless assemblies on videos of actual abortions taking place and I felt brainwashed into believing a certain way on the issue. For so long I was against abortion and couldn't understand why anyone would get on if there were other options. However, in high school I had two experiences that changed the way I viewed abortion and the people that choose to have them. The first was in Theology class freshmen year when a guest speaker came to talk about her abortion and how it negatively affected her life and the regret and pain that followed it. Hearing her story of how she got pregnant and her fears of having the baby I understood why she did what she did and couldn't find much reason to condemn her for it. The second experience was with a friend who thought she might be pregant. We were seventeen and I remember thinking to myself if I was in her position I don't know if I could be a strong enough person to follow through with having the baby. These experiences opened my mind to the possibility that the issue was not as one sided as I had been taught.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment