Monday, February 2, 2009

Short Writing Assignment #5

I found the article “My Amendment” extremely interesting. It is classified as a humorous argument and I saw it to be just that. The argument is written by George Saunders and the topic he chose to write about it something out of the ordinary. He discusses what he calls Samish-Sex Marriage. This is where a man who has feminine qualities marries a woman with manly qualities. The article was entertaining to read and I believe it would work well as a rhetorical argument. It was a very one sided argument which leaves room for opinion and debate. The style of writing was kind of unique in that he used a lot of personal experience mixed with personal beliefs and thoughts.
The other article I found appealing was “The Chicken Soup Chronicles”. Written by Nora Ephron, it is a compilation of several arguments. She takes everyday common beliefs and argues their validity. It is mostly personal opinion which makes it a good article for a rhetorical argument. The article consists of personal theories and facts about the arguments the author uses in the article.
Both of these articles present well thought out analyses of their respective topics. They are both convincing and leave much room for argument. The style of writing is different in both and leads to different evaluations of the articles. I am interested in these articles because I like the way they speak to the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment